AutoHotKey for code

I’ve been using it for a while, but today I finished a script that will take care of a ton of common stuff I do while programming on the game. For example there are always pieces of code that are very very similar, like the AI of a sprite. So the script is setup where I can press a button, give it a name, and poof it writes the hundreds of lines of skeletal code for it to work. Such a F’ing time saver :horse:

Remember when they first introduced Intellisense in Visual Studio? Holy shit that changed everything!

1 Like

Actually, and this is going to make me feel super old. I remember when Borland introduced multi-color text!

Yeah wow and then the move from Borland to MS was pretty quick, but they had a lot of catching up to do.

Do you remember Watcom, C++ that came with the DOS extender :slight_smile:

Hah that fucking DOS extender nonsense … 7th Guest!

Dude I remember having to like dump every single driver on my box into the high range (past 640k) and I was still like 1k short of having enough to run that POS game. I think that game set a precedent on what is except-able for market. I had never seen a game soooo riddled with bugs…total show stopper ones that would crash and reboot your box, and yet they still made a killing…so then publishers were like…“Well who gives a fuck? It made a lot of money, so let’s just start shipping games like this from now on!” Then came Tomb Raider, Thief and a whole torrent of games that needed patched right out of the box!

1 Like

You damn near had to be a programmer just to figure out how to get the game to run!

Well, things haven’t changed much these days … just look at how bad Red Dead Redemption 2 launch went. Hardly anyone could get it to run, and unlike in the past there is no way to fix it yourself. I’m not sure anything is less complicated now, it’s just different.

What’s remarkable is how well it sold considering how hard it was to run it. Then again, most people were probably not running SCSI drivers which was typically why memory was so short for us.

God that just made me think of those old caddy-style CD-ROMs. GET OFF MY LAWN KID!

This is a really weird subject for me to tackle. Mainly I think, okay it was hard, and there were some issues…but at the same time people have the attention span of a puppy…“Look Squirrel!!!” So you would think that your sales of a game would super suffer given that if people couldn’t get it to run in like 20 sec they would just ask for a refund. I don’t know…it seems like the bigger companies get the less they care about the product and more about the profit. Yeah, I understand, we need the profit to succeed, but I won’t put out shit products if we start to be successful and expand. :slight_smile:

Hah! Refund? Games were one of the first and only consumer products to offer no refund whatsoever. You opened the box, it was yours forever. So I’m not sure that even mattered …

Which is precisely why shrink wrap machines came in handy

1 Like

Ha! I forgot about everyone having shrink wrap machines. Many people would buy a game, play it until they finished it and then just return it even if they liked the game once they put new shrink wrap on it.

1 Like

I had no idea! Who would do such a thing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Hmm, I think I know of at least a couple. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like